Thursday, October 22, 2009

Quit Touching Me...

I'm aware this isn't a new subject for a pregnant woman to have an issue with, but bear with me because I need to vent my frustrations. Anyone reading this should know ahead of time, if we are close enough that you know about and read my blog, I'm not talking about you in this post.
I have never been incredibly comfortable with touching other people or having them touch me. Hugging, for example, is one of these touching scenarios. I only do the "side hug" with male friends because I'm of the opinion that, as a married woman, I shouldn't be pressing myself against a man that isn't my husband. This doesn't apply to all men; I have no problem with normal hugs with male family members who I'm close with (i.e. my dad, brothers, cousins).

Another example is the pat on the arm/back vs. the rub on the arm/back. If we are friends, I don't have a problem with a pat on the arm and a, "How are ya'?" But don't come up to me and start rubbing your arm up and down my back and ask me, "Are you doing okay?" Friction of any kind should be kept out of platonic touching. I certainly would not want my husband doing this with another woman or a married woman for that matter.

And now for my belly. I have not had one woman touch my stomach without asking or me offering. This is because women understand that, though there is another person occupying my abdomen, it is still MY personal space. While my female coworkers (and even my mother-in-law) have all asked if I'm okay with them touching me, a few of my MALE coworkers have assumed that it's fair game and have repeatedly touched my belly without permission. Granted, I am on good terms and friendly with everyone who has done this AND I really don't mind a small pat or brief touch. But in what part of our culture, is it appropriate for a male, non-relative to attempt to rub another man's wife's pregnant belly? When I say "rub" I mean in circles over and over. Some of these guys are married; I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even want my husband touching another woman's pregnant belly, let alone rubbing it. I'm not a freakin' Treasure Troll! And some people are getting kind of offended that I'm telling them to stop, like I have a problem with something that's totally normal. It's not normal! And I'm the one who gets to be upset, okay?

Example (and not the only one I have): I went to the movies with my mom last and as she and I were leaving the theater we ran into a male friend of mine from work with his sister going in to see a movie. During our brief conversation, he went to touch my belly and started to rub in a circle. AWKWARD! I said, "Dude, don't go rubbing on it." He responded by laughing and reaching for my stomach AGAIN. I had to wrap my arms around my belly and turn away to get him to stop. Even his sister said, "You can't just go rubbing on pregnant women like that."

So thank you all for letting me rant (not that you had a choice, I'm posting this whether you end up reading it or not).

2 comments:

Randy said...

love this blog entry!!! :)

angie and tyler said...

I agree. I had strangers in Walmart touching me and it was not ok.