Monday, December 6, 2010

Watched Over

I just wanted to quickly share an experience I had over the weekend.  Leland and I were going to a Christmas get-together with his cousins on Saturday night.  My parents were going to be watching Carter for us and we met up with them at my grandparents' house where my mom and dad were putting up the Christmas tree.  The party was a potluck and so we had our crockpot with us and we brought it in to keep it plugged in until it was time to leave for the party.  It ended up getting plugged in on the island and I made a mental note to not let Carter go into the kitchen so that he wouldn't pull on the cord and have a hot crockpot fall on him.

My dad had gone downstairs, we thought with Carter in tow, and the rest of us were sitting and chatting in the front room.  I don't know how else to describe it other than I suddenly knew Carter was not with my dad, but was in the kitchen about to pull the crockpot down on himself.  I jumped up and ran into the kitchen just in time to grab him as he was standing and reaching for the crockpot cord.

My heart was pounding, of course, and I just held him tight because I knew how hurt he would have been if he had pulled that crockpot off the counter.  My mom said something about my "great Spidey-sense" which got me thinking.  That wasn't me; that was a prompting from the Holy Ghost watching over my little family and keeping my little dude safe.

Anyone who knows me won't be surprised when I tell you that I'm crying as I write this.  I am so grateful for the power of the Holy Ghost in my life; I know I am being watched over and that my little family is, as well.

5 comments:

Ashley Benning said...

Thanks for sharing. I needed to hear this story.

Love you guys!

Katie Wright Farnsworth said...

I love that Lauren. Thanks for posting!!

Julie said...

It's so wonderful when the spirit speaks to us and we listen. What a wonderful lesson to share with Carter when he's old enough to show him how the spirit works.

Laura B said...

Holy cow! That is amazing. I love the mormon messages too. I am so glad that the Holy Ghost was there for you and Carter.

Melissa said...

Made me cry!!! What an amazing blessing. I've had one of those moments. The day we brought David home from the hospital, we were in the living room and suddenly I knew Rachel was not where we thought she was (she had been outside playing with Abby and a new little girl from down the street.) Winslow and my mom raced around looking for her (she was 2 1/2) I, of course, was stuck sitting because I'd just had a c- section and then I just KNEW she was in our new van. Sure enough she had climbed in the van and BUCKLED herself in and could not get out (this was JUNE in AZ). She was hot and red, but okay. I truly believe we could have lost her that day had I not listened the the Spirit. Every time I think about it, I get ill from thinking what could have happened. And I KNOW the Lord was watching over our family.