Friday, October 29, 2010

Wood Flooring - Part 3 and Painting!

The flooring was finished two weeks ago...Leland got it all done in four days!  Wednesday he started with his dad and got half the living room done.  Then on Thursday Leland and some cousins and brothers finished the living room.  Friday night the majority of the hall was done, but the tricky, angled portion of the hallway started becoming a patience-drainer, so Leland took a break and finished the hall and the laundry closet on Saturday morning with his dad.  Yay!  I love my new wood floors, they are so much cleaner than that nasty old carpet (I'm pretty sure it was original to the 10 year old house).  And Carter's feet aren't black anymore (Can you imagine how dirty carpet would have to be to leave the tops of his feet black from crawling? Yuck!)

The finished hallway - it looks so cool on the angle like that!

And then we finally picked a paint color (Well, I finally picked a paint color) after 4 different samples painted on the wall.  Here's the thing:

Color #1 was a nice creamy color with a smidge of yellow in it.  But in large quantities it would've look white or cream, not yellow like I wanted.

I picked Color #2 thinking it was a smidge more yellow than Sample #1 without being overpowering.  But it looked like a post-it on the wall.

So my mom and I stopped by Lowe's again last Saturday to pick out two samples since this one-at-a-time thing wasn't working out.  I kept looking at the paint chips and I couldn't figure out why Colors # 1 and 2 looked so different on my wall when the paint chips were so close.  So I got another 1/2 pint of Color #2 and a 1/2 pint sample of a third color that was more taupe and not really yellow at all, just to see what it looked like next to the green in my kitchen.  Apparently whoever mixed my first sample of Color #2 did it wrong.  When I got home I opened them both up and the paint in the containers looked so different!  I painted the two new samples on the wall and was able to decide on Color #2, Winter Wheat by Olympic.

Tuesday night Leland painted the kitchen all by himself, I was wrestling our little one and getting him fed and ready for bed.  And there's not a ton of room in the kitchen, it would've been crowded with us both painting in there together.

And last night (Thursday), my dad came over to help us start in on the living room.  The three of us worked for about an hour and a half and got most of the living room done.  I love this new paint color!  It's much better than that ugly light pink the previous owners had throughout almost the entire house.



3 comments:

Laura B said...

it looks so happy!!! I will have to come visit to see it in person :) and to see that baby again!!!

Bethany said...

Love the color! I'm glad you were finally able to find what you wre looking for.

Daniel doings said...

I so love the paint color and the flooring. I am sure you are happy with the out come.