Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Weekend in Pinetop with the Daniels

We did a 3 day trip to Pinetop this past weekend with Leland's family. It's so nice to get away and be able to relax. Lawanna (Leland's mom) asked me to do breakfast for the weekend which was fun. I love having something to plan and it's nice to be able to contribute.

We left on Thursday evening after work and picked up Bryan (Leland's younger brother) and Ryan (Bryan's friend) and we were on the road by 6pm. I don't know what I was thinking, but I decided to read for the first part of our drive, which was on a fairly winding road. At least the carsickness dissipated after we ate dinner at Arby's in Payson. We stopped at Walmart to get just the necessities for the next morning's breakfast (french toast and fruit) and arrived at the cabin just before 10pm. Grandpa and grandma Burgess were already there, along with David and Lawanna.

We made the obligatory trip to Walmart for the weekend's groceries on Friday morning after breakfast and also picked up a few DVDs for the weekend and some makeup for me (I left mine at home, guh!). I wasn't about to have pictures taken all weekend without makeup...Sorry. Ashley (Leland's sister) and Corinne (a friend of the family's staying with Ashley while her parents are out of town) arrived Friday evening and we had fun chatting and catching up on the latest that's been going on with all of us.

Tyler (Leland's older brother) and little David (our nephew) made it up on Saturday and they made lunch for us. It was a Chilean way of eating hot dogs, called completos in Chile, with all your condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayonaisse) topped with diced tomatoes and then sealed inside the bun with mushed up avocados (not guacamole). It was really yummy! Apparently in Chile they eat their french fries with mayonaisse so a few of us tried that also. I was boring and stuck with ranch for my fries. We played a few rounds of Phase 10, a game new to most of us, and then yummy dinner made by Lawanna.

Sunday was great! I got up and made my Grandma Jane's Peach Breakfast along with eggs, bacon, and hashbrown patties and then we watched the second of the Work and the Glory movies called American Zion. I've never seen any of these movies and I'm looking forward to buying/watching all of them. Peach Breakfast (like cobbler, but more breakfasty since there's oatmeal in the topping) was a huge hit with the family! Grandpa and Grandma Burgess left a little after breakfast to get back home for the monthly home evening with the extended family, but the rest of us stayed for the rest of the day. We didn't on the road until around 5pm because it started raining (the only rain we got) and we wanted to sit and enjoy it. The drive home was fairly short (3.5 hours) and then we were home.

I sure do appreciate that Grandpa and Grandma Burgess allow us to use their cabin as a getaway during the summers. It's always great to get away from all the technology and errand running and just spend some good time together with family.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Phase 10!! Love that game. Winslow and I used to play it all the time! Breakfast sounds way yummy. Hope the mountains were cool enough for you. We went down to Virden NM and about DIED in the 103degree heat. Don't know how you stand it!